Blessed are the curious...for they create a better world.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Spread Your Wings! Altered Peat Pot

Spring is soooo here in Southern CA. Actually it's almost like summer! It is supposed to be in the 90s this weekend. I am so lucky to live here. I find it so much easier and inspiring to be creative on beautiful sunny days and this week is full of them.

So how perfect is it that the theme for my monthly art club is a birdie altered peat pot. I have been experimenting with tea dying and knew that I wanted to incorporate some of the dyed fabrics, papers and ribbons in to this piece. I covered the peat pot with dyed burlap and lace. I then shredded some tea dyed French text to create the nest. I dipped the bird in a cup of tea, but if I had that to do over again I would paint the tea dye on. The bird took forever to dry and the glues holding him together started to fail. After adding some flowers and the laser cut frame I finished it off with some tea dyed seam binding and adhered a tea dyed doily with chipboard to the bottom of the pot to add some stability.

All this while I listened to the birdie outside my window sing while she was sitting on her eggs in a nest she made in my patio light fixture!

Linking with Pink Saturday.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Love, love the peat pot Marti. I will be creating one for a swap in a few days, these are fun for sure.
I wanted to let you know I received one of your atc's from Kimberly's swap.
Love the use of the vintage children's book pages.
Thanks for playing along.
Glad it is nice and warm in CA, we are looking at 12-24 inches of snow over next few day, I wish for spring soon....
Michele Murray

Createology said...

Lovely altered peat pot. Spring is close and the birdies are busy busy busy. I am putting out fresh seed everyday for them. Creative Bliss...

The Porcelain Rose said...

Love your peat pot! Toooo cute!
I too, love altered art. I'm really into collage art at the moment. I love to takes bits of this and that and create something beautiful.
The snow just melted off and it was in the 60's this week. I was finally able to clean the porch and hang the new Easter and Spring wreaths I made.
Lovely blog. Enjoyed your previous posts as well.
Hope you will pop over for a visit.
Happy Pink Saturday!
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Marti!! I haven't seen you in so long. Of course your gorgeous art would catch my eye right away at Beverly's. Simply beautiful.
Happy Pinks!
xoxo

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

There are times I really miss S. Cali. but spring will be here soon!

Love your altered peat pot, it looks fabulous.

Happy Pink Saturday !

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Marti -- What a darling little peat pot! How lovely to have the birdie outside your window for inspiration. Not quite Spring in Michigan but the songbirds are chirping while nestled in the pines.

Debra

Lorraine said...

It is so cute, Marti, wish I could have seen it in person!! Love the tea dye look of this! xo L.

Deborah Montgomery said...

Oh, whenever I see beauties like this I'm inspired to get out all my papers and scissors and glue and ribbons!! This is so pretty.

Enjoy your weather! there's still snow here!

Maggie said...

Hi Marti--your peat pot is charming! Well done and so Spring-y.

I received one of your ATCs from Kimberly's vintage paper swap, and I love it! The blue flocked wallpaper and such sweet old storybook images...just darling. Thanks so much

xoxo,
Maggie